Myanmar Engineering Society [MES] was orginally formed in 1916 as “The Burma Engineering Congress”. In 1927, the name was changed to “The Association of Engineers in Burms”. Due to the out-break of World War II, its activities cooled down during the period 1939-1945.
“The Association of Engineers in Burma” resumed its regular activities in 1946 and steadily picked up momentum.
However, due to a Government Act abolishing all parties and associations, “The Association of Engineers in Burma”, like all other associations, was abolishedin 1963.
In order to able to serve its Mother Land in much needed infrastructures for development, economy and urbanization, “The Association of Engineers in Burma” was restructured in 1995 giving birth to “Myanmar Engineering Society”
Actually, Myanmar Engineering Society [MES] was officiatly formed on 23th Dec, 1995 in the Assembly Hall of YIT with unaminous approal of some 800 engineers and architects present on the occasion.
MES was formally inaugurated on the lawns of YIT on 7th Feb, 1996 with the unveiliving of the MES signboard and the deliveing of the inauguration speech by the dignatories of the Goverment. Prof. Kyin Soe, the Rector of YIT, and Nyi Hla Nge, the Pro. Rector of YIT, were the first President and the first General Secretary of MES.